Mildred Child

Mildred BuildingMrs. Mildred Child, born in England, came to Canada as a war bride in 1919. She lived in Saskatchewan until 1935. Her husband died that year and Mrs.Child travelled west with her two children.

In 1947, she was hired by the Lake Cowichan School Board as a stenographer and bookkeeper, having received excellent training while in England. She lived with her son, Allan, who was teaching at the Lake Cowichan High School. Alan and Mildred lived in a newly built house on Cowichan Avenue. In 1963 she was made Assistant Secretary Treasurer on the School Board.

She served for twenty years on the School Board. She was elected to the Village Council in 1957. She served on Village Council for two years and then was elected Mayor in 1960 and served for another 7 years. She left in 1968 to live with her daughter in Vancouver, making annual trips back to Lake Cowichan in the summertime.

Mildred Child died in 1975. A memorial service was held in the Centennial Hall and her ashes, as she had requested, were scattered on Cowichan Lake.

In 1986, the Village Council purchased the B.C. Telephone building which had also done service as the Vancouver Island Public Library, (where many of us have memories of our present Mayor reminding us of our late charges). The building was named the “Mildred Child Annex” in a dedication ceremony at which long-time resident Oscar Palsson paid homage to the determination and spirit that Mildred Child brought to all of her activities. The naming of this building in Mildred Child’s honour gives testimony to her long service to the community.

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.